Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What are you passing on?

The other night at the dinner table my husband decided to do what he does best, start a game! (just FYI I've never been much of a game person) What was the game, you ask? "Name a phrase... any phrase."

my daughter said, "You make a better door than a window"

then her boyfriend said, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

my husband said, "It is more blessed to give than receive" 

then its my turn...I freeze...the pressure is on...

everyone is looking at me...

and I say my normal line "I don't want to play". 

"I don't like playing games guys" but my husband insists.

I finally burst out,
"I wasn't allowed to play games at the dinner table!"

Not only did I surprised my daughter but I surprised myself too, I couldn't believe I had just blurted that out! I know she seen in my eyes that I really didn't want to participate. She even tried to change the subject for me so we could continue to eat. But after dinner I kept thinking about it in the back of my mind. Wow, I thought, that's a blog!

But what was the big deal? I guess I was so surprised that it was something that I remembered so vividly. It was something that was passed onto me as a child and I still did it as an adult! When I was a child if we laughed and played we had to stand up and eat. Not only could I not laugh but I had to watch the way I sat at the dinner table. I couldn't rest my head on my hand during dinner either! Now don't get me wrong I'm a strong believer on manners at the table, but I guess I have mixed emotions on this because I do believe that you should have conversations and laugh at the table. However, playing games is something I prefer not to do.

But now that I have you thinking about the things you we're taught as a kid, what is it that you're passing on to your children? Is it bringing your laptop to the dinner table? Talking on the cell phone when you're eating?

With today's lifestyles and busy schedules, us moms are constantly driving kids to and from places like soccer and baseball practices. It is almost easier to just drive through somewhere and pick up a quick meal as well as have a "on the go" conversation. If everyone is so busy, when is the time you instill in them some of the really important stuff? Like the word of God, manners, or teach them conversation skills. (I'm sure you've noticed that today's kids are losing their communication skills because of all the texting they do.)

I seen this cartoon recently...try not to allow this to happen to you.


This little cartoon is cute and hilarious but so true for our kids generation..right?

So you're wondering with all this going on, when ARE you supposed to instill important things in your child?
Well in Deuteronomy 6:6-9 it says, Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates.

(This is a great place for me to advertise my part time business, http://kimmyg.uppercaseliving.net/ where you can actually design your own scriptures for your walls at home!)

We are commanded to talk to our children, and teach them. We are to talk to them wherever we are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. So ultimately they will pass it on to their children and so on.

I have to say that even though I wasn't allowed to laugh or play games at the dinner table, I'm so grateful that I had grandparents and parents that took the time to teach me things that I value today, the word of God.

Is there anything you remember as a kid that you were taught, is there anything that you would do differently or the same? Please share!

That's Life by Kimmy G.

No comments: