Saturday, May 22, 2010

How to Manage Your Emotions

Today at the Life Builder Seminar I guess you can say there was a room full of emotions..over 100 women of all ages came out to build up themselves with other Women with Purpose and Dignity through God's Word and Principles.

Pastor Cathy Guerrero and Hope Olivas shared some moments in their own lives when they needed to learn to manage their emotions. They gave so many keys to managing our emotions but I just chose a few to share here on the blog, but I encourage you to make it to the next meeting! They are great!

Now I'm going to be honest with you, last month when Pastor Cathy announced the topic "Managing Your Emotions" I thought to myself "Oh great Lord! This is going to be a month full of emotions now!" and it WAS!

just a few emotions that I can recall:

my grandson had to undergo surgery....worried

my parents moved 2 hours away.....sad

I was at a bible study and a shooting happened right outside... scared!

our track of homes are being tested for soil contamination...uncertain

my daughter got a job...HAPPY!

Every day it happens, we experience emotions, we all do.
But the main thing is HOW DO YOU MANAGE THEM?
or do they manage you?

I like the way Hope referenced to a few cartoon characters that she recalls acting like when she allowed her emotions to control her. I'm sure we can all relate, I know I can!
Chicken Little: Always worried!


Eeyore: Depressed, Gloomy, Negative, Pessamistic


Cruella De Ville: Evil & Full of Anger

To manage means to handle, direct, govern or control in action or use.
So as we learn to manage our emotions, it will take PRACTICE!
P-Practice self awareness
R-Reach out to God
A- Activate positive self talk
C-Control the way you express yourself
T-Train your mind to think on things that are positive
I-Identify what triggers some of your emotions
C-Consisitency is important
E-Emotional Itelligence

I think one of the keys that helped me the most was Being aware (self awareness of where Iam at the moment) Sometimes we get so caught up in the situation we immediatly go back to the past and hash up more emotions. We need to Be present, keep it to Real time, what am I feeling at the present time.

Another good tip was, Take time to process and make correct choices. Negative emotions produce bad decisions. A good example of this is Cain in the Bible Genesis 4:1-8. he didn't make a very good choice, read it when you can!

Sometimes before I make a decision I have to do this myself, I just tell my family I'm going upstairs for a little bit. It gives me time to pray, to think, to listen before I react on a situation. I haven't always been like this, it has taken a lot of PRACTICE!

I agree with Pastor Cathy "emotions are not wrong, its all about how we preceive, define, handle and express them that will make the difference!"
I pray that you are blessed with some of the tips that stood out to me and
Remember, what people do to you and what has been done to you is not what determines the outcome of your life, but how you respond to it and the decision you make after it happens.

Proverbs 11:17 (MES)
When you're kind to others, you help yourself; when you're cruel to others your hurt yourself.

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.

2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV)
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

ps..next month's topic is "Living with Balance" come join us!

That's Life by Kimmy G.

No comments: